Why choose this program?
You’ll take part of annual researches done on humpback whales by an Australian scientist in the Queensland coast.
While the numbers of humpback whales are still recovering from whaling, in the past years more and more whales have stranded. The underlying reasons and trends of this recently noticed issue are not fully understood. Through Dr. Olaf’s research over the past few years he was able to link certain environmental conditions such as increased water temperature to changes in humpback whale migration. Such shifts likely result in longer migration times and consequently in deterred health.
During this experience based on humpback whales, you will get the opportunity to learn from specialists about this particular species and also about marine life in this area of the world.
Your stay —
- 3 Days
- 360€* (prices available in $ and £ – we will evaluate together the exact participation fees according to the desired volunteering duration)
- Minimum age 18
- Up to 6 volunteers
- Spoken language: English
- Animals: humpback whales but also, dolphins, false killer whales, pilot whales, minke whales, killer whales, hammerhead sharks, etc.
- Open positions for internships
You will be able to assist Dr. Olaf to determine the causes such as shifts in response to ocean warming and find ways to determine whale health using new and exciting techniques and developing new whale friendly methods. You will be helping with the collection of important behaviour data, monitoring data, health assessments and assist with mucous collection, remote aerial surveys, skin sampling, and tagging.
A typical day of sampling and research starts between 7 am and 9 am and finishes around 5 pm. You will return to your accommodation giving you time to shower and relax before making your way for dinner
On Sunday night we conclude with an optional dinner and enter our data and exchange photos.
Depending on weather we may undertake additional laboratory work and/or analyse data.
- A detailed itinerary will be emailed to you once you completed your booking.
- Saturday and Sunday you will spend on the water, conducting sampling and survey activities.
- Land-based survey on Sunday afternoon.
Even if you won’t necessarily go to the laboratory, you can check below the typical research day awaiting for you!
Duration and price —
This volunteering program takes place exclusively from June to September, each year. A maximum of six volunteers is possible per session.
Included / Not included —
- Supervision and daily activities
- Registration fees
- 24/7 support locally and from Sagittarius Voyage
⤷ Learn more about our services
Not included ——
- Flight tickets
- Transfer from the airport to the reserve
Reservation & information ——
If you would like to receive more information about how to volunteer and the program or simply make a reservation request, contact us via the form below.