Why choose this program?
You will be part of the life of a sanctuary dedicated to animals born in captivity and rescued from canned hunting, circus or generally fro the illegal pet trade. You will learn from passionate professionals and will become during your stay there an animal care worker. Be able to give the animals all your love and full attention during the food preparation and cleaning of facilities.
This sanctuary is and has been collaborating with several international associations to rescue many animals and offer them a second life full of love and respect. Ce sanctuaire s’est associé notamment à bon nombre d’organismes et associations internationales pour secourir plusieurs animaux et leur donner un havre de paix dans lequel vivre leurs vies.
Your stay —
- From 2000 rands (€ – $ – £)
- One week minimum
- South Africa
- Minimum age 18
- Up to 6 volonteers
- Spoken language : english
- Animals : lions, tiger, caracals, chimps, marmoset monkeys, capuchin monkeys, wallaby, blue duikers, grey common duikers, black swans, klipspringer and parrots.
You will be part of the sanctuary life and will help animals to live peacefully their “second lives”. Find out about the activities below:
- Monitoring visitors to the sanctuary to ensure the animals well being
- Food preparation for the lions
- Cleaning the grounds and facilities
- Cleaning lion camps
- Clearing alien vegetation
- Clearing fence lines and general fence maintenance
- Fence construction
- Firebreak maintenance (and fire fighting in the summer!)
The sanctuary is located one hour’s drive from the famous Cape Town.
The accommodation units are situated a short distance from the lion and chimp enclosures, so volunteers will have the added bonus of hearing the lions roar every night! Total immersion!
Accommodation is in the form of shared same-sex units (maximum 3 persons) with a communal kitchen/recreation room. The kitchen is fully equipped with a gas stove and fridge. Volunteers are responsible for keeping the accommodation tidy at all times.
Volunteers are responsible for supplying and preparing their own meals and they will be taken on a scheduled shopping trip to purchase the necessary supplies and can safely budget on 400 ZAR per week for food.
Duration and price —
You can choose to volunteer only one week or choose a longer stay. A maximum of six volunteers is possible per session.
Go to volunteer with a group is possible.
You can pay for your stay in two times free of charge.
Included / Not included —
- Supervision and daily activities;
- Internet; and
- 24/7 support locally and from Sagittarius Voyage;
⤷ Learn more about our services
Not included ——
- Flight tickets;
- Registration fees;
- Transfer from the airport to the program
- Excursions during weekends;
- Vaccines; and
- Travel insurance.
Reservation & information ——
If you would like to receive more information about how to volunteer and the program or simply make a reservation request, contact us via the form below.