In South Africa, you have the opportunity to join the team of volunteers involved in a global action to conserve and have a better understanding of the marine life of this part of the world.
- One week minimum to 3 months
- 1 semaine : 620€* | 2 semaines : 1240€* | 1 mois : 2310€* (prices available in $ and £ – we will evaluate together the exact participation fees according to the desired volunteering duration)
- South Africa
- Minimum age 18
- Up to 12 volunteers
- Spoken language: English
- Animals: humpback whales, great white sharks, fur seals, southern right whales, bryde whales, Pacific humpback dolphins, bottlenose dolphins, common dolphins.
Why choose this volunteering program?
You are joining a volunteer program that works to protect marine life and its animals on the South African coast. It implements awareness-raising actions to protect the oceans and its marine animals among local populations, schools and international volunteers.
You discover and contribute at the same time to the research done on whales, dolphins, but also sharks with the great white of this region.
Affiliated scientific partnerships and projects
The research carried out by this organization is most often done in collaboration and shared with the Port Elizabeth Museum, Nelson Mandela University and Cape Nature, an organization involved in protecting the Western Cape. The program also supports the Seabird Rehabilitation Centre.
Daily program —
You are integrated into actions to protect local fauna and flora, but also into those to raise local awareness.
This complete program allows you to understand the marine world in its entirety with its cetaceans, fish, birds, but also with the study of the state of health of rivers or the management of invasive alien plant species.
You do different activities from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 5 pm (end of the day at 1 pm on Friday).
The activities during the stay are varied and adapted to the season concerning the animals. For example, humpback and right whales are found in South African waters from June to October each year. A large colony of fur seals also lives in this region of the globe, ideal prey for great white sharks.
List of some of the voluntary activities:
- Research on marine animals (whales, dolphins, sharks, sea lions)
- Beach cleaning
- Assessment of the health of rivers
- Assistance to the Seabird Rehabilitation Centre
- Help at a pet shelter
- Raising children’s awareness of nature protection
- Necropsy of stranded animals
You are accommodated in the volunteer house, close to all amenities. Your meal (three times a day) is prepared from Monday to Friday. On weekends, meals are not prepared but the food is always available.
Duration and price —
You can choose to volunteer at any time of the year. However, it should be noted that whales are mainly visible from June to October. A maximum of 12 volunteers are present per session.
Volunteering to protect marine wildlife in South Africa is a minimum of one week, but we recommend that you spend two weeks there to participate in a wider variety of activities.
Go to volunteer with a group is possible.
You can pay for your stay in two times free of charge.
Included / Not included —
- Supervision and daily activities
- Registration fees
- 24/7 support locally and from Sagittarius Voyage
⤷ Learn more about our services
Not included ——
- Flight tickets
- Transfer from the airport to the reserve
Reservation & information ——
If you would like to receive more information about how to volunteer and the program or simply make a reservation request, contact us via the form below.