Go to Cameroon in West Africa, to join and help a primate rehabilitation centre, for animals removed from their environment by humans or injured.
- Two weeks minimum to 3 months
- 2 weeks : 690€ | 3 weeks : 1190€ | 1 month : 2190€ (prices available in $ and £ – we will evaluate together the exact participation fees according to the desired volunteering duration)
- South Africa
- Minimum age 18
- Up to 10 volunteers
- Animals: gorilla, chimpanzee, drill, mandrill, olive baboon, mangabey, African grey parrot, Seba python, blue duiker, African civet, Nile and dwarf crocodile<
Why choose this volunteering program?
You take on the role of the assistant animal keeper by accompanying the center’s keepers in their daily tasks.
The research centre has been created in 1993 and has saved more than 4300 animals of different species. It is partly managed by the Government of Cameroon. As a sanctuary, the centre offers the possibility for animals that cannot be released to have a place where they can live their lives peacefully. Injured animals that can be reintroduced have enclosures to recover before they are released.
The centre is involved in awareness-raising activities with these visitors to inform them of the impacts of poaching on animal populations. The majority of the animals in the centre are victims of this central problem.
Parterships and affiliated scientific projects
The centre is supported by the Cameroonian government. Currently, a behavioural study on western lowland gorillas is being conducted in addition to another one to reinvest the centre in the forest.
Daily program —
You are integrated into the centre as an assistant animal caretaker. The days start at 8 am and will follow a specific schedule. You will be assigned to an area of the centre and accompanied by one of the caregivers.
- enclosure cleaning
- food preparation
- animal monitoring and observation
- preparation of enrichments
- repair of enclosure structures
Depending on the availability and needs of the centre but also on your skills, you may be assigned to more specific tasks such as veterinary, construction or education projects (at your choice).
You are accommodated in a house dedicated to volunteers 10 minutes from the centre. Rooms are shared and have a shared bathroom (cold water). The house is fully equipped and 10 minutes from the centre.
You can otherwise choose to sleep in a local hotel for an additional cost:
- 25 euros/night – private room in a local hotel with air conditioning, hot shower, television, swimming pool, etc. located 10 minutes walk from the centre.
- 15 euros/night – a private room in a basic local hotel with fan and shower located 10 minutes walk from the centre.
Duration and price —
You can choose to volunteer whenever you want at any time of the year. A maximum of eight volunteers is possible per session.
The stay in the reserve is a minimum of two weeks. You can extend your stay up to 12 weeks.
Go to volunteer with a group is possible.
You can pay for your stay in two times free of charge.
Included / Not included —
- Supervision and daily activities
- Registration fees
- 24/7 support locally and from Sagittarius Voyage
⤷ Learn more about our services
Not included ——
- Flight tickets
- Transfer from the airport to the center
Reservation & information ——
If you would like to receive more information about how to volunteer and the program or simply make a reservation request, contact us via the form below.