In this program, you are in the heart of African nature, in a private reserve. You are here help the protection of the Big 5 (lions, leopards, buffaloes, rhinos, and elephants) and other large animals in this part of the world.
- One week minimum to 3 months
- 2 weeks : 1135€* | 1 month : 2075€* (prices available in $ and £ – we will evaluate together the exact participation fees according to the desired volunteering duration)
- South Africa
- Minimum age 18
- Up to 10 volunteers
- Spoken language: English
- Animals: Big5 – lions, elephants, buffalos, leopards, rhinos, giraffes, cape elephants, ostriches, kudu, hartebeests, waterbucks, hippos, antelopes.
Why choose this volunteering program?
By choosing this volunteering experience, you are taking part in the conservation efforts of a South African reserve for the Big 5 and other African animals.
This program allows you to discover wild animals as closely as possible and also learn a lot of information about their species. Moreover, it is an opportunity to learn how to observe and find animals in the wild. You also have the opportunity to discover the local flora. In addition to this, there are various maintenance works on the reserve to protect their environment.
As animal life is nowadays linked to the human one, you also participate once a week to community projects.
Daily program —
You are a member of a group of volunteers in a private reserve. The different activities offered during the program are made to monitor animal populations, study them and thus, improve their living conditions. You contribute to the proper management of the reserve and are sensitized to the life of the various animals in this region.
Vous êtes intégré au groupe des volontaires d’une réserve privée. Les différentes activités proposées durant le séjour permettent de suivre les populations d’animaux, de les étudier et ainsi d’améliorer leurs conditions de vie. Vous contribuez au bon fonctionnement de la réserve et êtes sensibilisé grâce à votre coordinateur/guide à la vie des différents animaux de cette région.
Your activities take place from Monday to Friday, from 8am to 5pm. Evenings and weekends are free and the volunteers use to eat in the city on Wednesday evenings.
You usually go on game drives during the day and participate to different activities useful for the good management of the reserve.
List of some of the activities offered in this volunteering program:
- Study of the impact of elephants on their environment
- Study of the prey chosen by lions
- Rhino monitoring – support for the anti-poaching team
- Leopard and hyenas monitoring using camera traps
- Bird populations monitoring in the reserve
- Counting and identification of animals
- Control and management of invasive plant species
- Road maintenance
- Involvement in projects to support local communities (one morning a week)
Your accommodation is a house dedicated to the volunteers, with shared double rooms and private bathrooms.
There are a living room and a dining room. Outside, you will find a swimming pool and a barbecue area.
You have three meals a day, which are prepared by the volunteers themselves. All the necessary ingredients are provided.
Wi-fi is available but is limited.
Duration and price —
You can choose to volunteer there whenever you want during the year. A maximum of ten volunteers are present per session.
This volunteering program takes place exclusively from the end of May to the end of August, each year. A maximum of ten volunteers is possible per session.
The stay in the reserve is a minimum of two weeks. You can extend your stay up to 12 weeks.
Go to volunteer with a group is possible.
You can pay for your stay in two times free of charge.
Included / Not included—
- Supervision and daily activities
- 24/7 support
- Registration fees
- Sagittarius Voyage support
⤷ Learn more about our services
Not included ——
- Flight tickets
- Transfer from the airport to the reserve
- Travel insurance
Reservation & information ——
If you would like to receive more information about how to volunteer and the program or simply make a reservation request, contact us via the form below.