Why choose this program?
You’ll get the opportunity to be part of a research team working on a resident population of bottlenose dolphins in Slovenia and adjacent waters in the northern Adriatic Sea.
The organization was established in 2001 and is carrying out several projects in the field of scientific research, education, public awareness and conservation. The project about bottlenose dolphins has started in 2002 and they have studied dolphin distribution, abundance, social structure, habitat use, feeding habits, fishery interactions and tourism impact etc. You will assist them to continue their studies and discoveries about local marine life.
Your time will be split between boat surveys and land-based observations.
Also, you will collect data about the loggerhead turtles, which are also residents of the area in the summer season.
Your stay —
- 10 Days
- Students : 588€ | Other public : 922€ (prices available in $ and £ – we will evaluate together the exact participation fees according to the desired volunteering duration)
- Minimum age 18
- Up to 6 volunteers
- Spoken language: English
- Animals: bottlenose dolphins and loggerhead turtles
Program with bottlenose dolphins —
Everyday, if weather conditions are good (no strong wind, no rain, no fog), volunteers will be split in two groups, one on boat (5.8 m inflatable boat) and one other land based. At mid-day, two groups switch activities.
You will discover scientific work “behind the scenes” and supervised by passionated professionals.
- Boat surveys – collect data about bottlenose dolphins movements, behaviour, interactions with fisheries, etc
- Land-based watches – environmental and boat traffic data are collected.
- Photo Identification – identifying animals through natural markings, such as scars, nicks, and notches on dorsal fins
- Behavioural observations
- Lectures about previous studies done by the research team
You are hosted in the organization’s search base. Volunteers are in a shared room with bunk beds.
The building is composed of a workroom, a kitchen, and a bathroom.
You should, therefore, consider living in the same space as other foreign volunteers during your stay as a volunteer.
Duration and price —
This volunteering program takes place exclusively from June to September, each year. A maximum of six volunteers is possible per session.
As the program is exclusively for a period of 10 days, you have no days off.
The stay in the reserve is a minimum of two weeks. You can extend your stay up to 12 weeks.
Go to volunteer with a group is possible.
You can pay for your stay in two times free of charge.
Included / Not included —
- Supervision and daily activities
- Visit of natural sites
- Registration fees
- 24/7 support locally and from Sagittarius Voyage
⤷ Learn more about our services
Not included ——
- Transportation to the volunteering program
- Travel insurance
Reservation & information ——
If you would like to receive more information about how to volunteer and the program or simply make a reservation request, contact us via the form below.